Guidelines for Events to Benefit Autism Delaware
Autism Delaware strives to create better lives for individuals and families affected by autism throughout Delaware. We very much appreciate the dedication and generosity of every individual and company that wishes to help support that mission. Whether you are a family member or friend of someone with autism, or simply a devoted citizen looking to assist in an important cause, we are thankful for your desire to help – we couldn’t do our work without you!
Please understand that, due to the volume of event requests we receive, we are not always able to attend or assist with them. Please call Autism Delaware's development director, Troy Nuss, at 302-224-6020 x206 as early as possible to discuss your plans.
To email Troy with your request now, please Click Here.
Any individual or organization who wishes to conduct an event or promotion involving the use of the name Autism Delaware for fundraising or publicity purposes must receive written approval from Autism Delaware in advance. Please allow two weeks for the review process to take place.
- Events should complement the mission of Autism Delaware.
- The event organizer must obtain any necessary permits, licenses or insurance.
- The event organizer agrees to hold Autism Delaware, its staff and Board harmless from any and all claims made as a result of the event.
- Autism Delaware must approve all uses of the organizational logo and name in promotional information. Do not make public announcements or promote the event until you receive written approval from Autism Delaware.
- Event organizers should not call an event "Autism Delaware Dance Marathon." Instead, your event should be promoted as the "Dance Marathon to benefit Autism Delaware."
- Autism Delaware should receive 100% of the net proceeds from your event within about 60 days after the event. If Autism Delaware will not receive all of the proceeds from the event, then the exact percentage of the proceeds that benefit Autism Delaware must be stated clearly on all promotional materials.
- Events must comply with all federal, state and local laws governing charitable fundraising, gift reporting and special events. (The IRS requires that all tickets, invitations or entry forms state which portion of the contribution is tax-deductible if any. If a donor receives a product or service in exchange for their donation, subtract the value (whether or not it is donated) of the product or service from the contribution. The remaining amount is tax-deductible.)
- If your donors send their contributions directly to Autism Delaware, you need to inform us of the value of any goods or services donors receive in return for their contributions.
- If individual donors send their contributions directly to the event organizer, the event organizer needs to submit to Autism Delaware an itemized listing of all donors, their addresses and the amount of their individual donation within 60 days so that a proper acknowledgment letter documenting the tax-deductibility of their contribution can be issued from Autism Delaware, the not-for-profit beneficiary, to the individual donor.
- If the event organizer does not submit an itemized donor list to Autism Delaware within 60 days, the acknowledgement letter will be generated for the event organizer only.
- Please notify Autism Delaware in advance if you plan to contact businesses for sponsorships or item donations. Please remember that many individuals and businesses already support us and may not wish to make additional donations.
- The sponsoring organization or individual must seek approval from Autism Delaware to repeat an event in each succeeding year.
- Autism Delaware must be notified if there are any significant changes planned for the event.
- Autism Delaware may at any time, through members of its senior management team, direct you to cancel the event. You must agree to cancel the event, if so directed, and further agree to release Autism Delaware and its officers and employees from any and all liability and connection to any such action.
What we can do to help you
- We can provide the following assistance to approved events upon request:
- Post a link to your event website on our social media pages (Facebook and Twitter) as well as send a note about your event to our Google Group (~1,000 subscribers)
- Provide a letter of authorization to validate the authenticity of the event and its organizers.
- Provide and approve the use of our logo.
- Produce acknowledgment letters to individual donors if proper paperwork and itemization is provided after the event (per guidelines above).
We can not
- Guarantee on-site staff or volunteer support at your event or check presentation (please discuss dates with our associate director for more information).
- Provide insurance coverage.
- Provide funding or reimbursement for expenses.
- Solicit sponsorship revenue for your fundraising activities.
- Provide paid publicity/advertising (newspaper, radio, TV coverage, etc.).
- Provide mailing lists.
- Provide letterhead.
- Place event fliers, posters or distribute other promotional material (please discuss with our associate director).
Click here to request the Autism Delaware Resource Guide.
Click here to request a full Parent Packet customized to your needs.